Thursday, January 18, 2007

Kodi Pulao/ Chicken Pulao






For Chicken Marination:

Chicken Drumsticks - 750 g (Skin removed, please read tips and cut in to two pieces, wash)
Turmeric - 1 tsp
Chilli powder - 1 tsp
Black pepper powder - 1 tsp
Yoghurt - 3 tbsp
Ginger and Garlic paste - 1 tsp each
Salt - 1 tsp
Lemon - 1 no.

Marinate these for 1/2 an hour and pre-cook it with out oil until 3/4 th cooked.

Set 1:

Cardamom - 3 no. (just split it to open)
Whole cloves - 4 no.
Cinnamon stick - 1 inch
Mace/ Javithri - 1 no.
Marati Mogga - 2 no.
Star anise - 1 no.
Bayleaves - 5 no.
Bujju Puvvu - small handful

Soak these in water until needed.

Set 2:

Cardamom - 3 no.
Whole cloves - 4 no.
Cinnamon stick - 1 inch
Nutmeg powder - 1/4 th tsp
Mace/ Javithri - 1 no.

Powder these coarsely in pestle and cover until needed.

Other things we need:

Onion - 1/2 no.large (Sliced thinly and cut in half once)
Green chillies - 2 no. (Slit length ways)
Pudina/ Mint - handful
Oil + Ghee - 1 and 1/2 tbsp each
*Home made Chicken masala - 1 tsp ( for masala ingredients follow my kodi kura recipe)

Basmati Rice - 5 rice cups (*use Kohinoor Basmati, I just love the aroma of the rice)

Water - 6 and 1/2 rice cups + 1 rice cup Lite Coconut Milk + 2 tsp Salt (mix these and keep aside.)



Proceed :

1) Heat oil and ghee in a deep flat non-stick dish, add set 1 spices, discarding water. After that add Set 2 powder, be careful not to burn the spice powder. Add mint leaves and green chillies, Mix well.

2) Add onions and fry until light golden color.

3) Add cooked chicken pieces along with the liquid it has produced during cooking. Mix well. Add my *Home made chicken masala powder and mix. Fry for 3-4 mins or until all the liquid has dried up.

Meanwhile wash the rice 3 times, discard water and add this rice to above dish and cook on high heat by mixing gently to combine. Now transfer this to electric cooker, add measured water to it, gently mix, put the lid on and cook.

4) Once it's stopped cooking, do not open the lid. Wait for 10 mins and clean the lid with the help of cloth and put the lid back. Do this for every 10 mins, until you finished off 30 mins stand by.

5) Now gently mix with fork to combine and serve.

Serve with Kodi Kura and Perugu chutney on side.


Tips:

To remove skin with ease, hold the drumstick at its bulky end. Take a thick paper towel and pull the skin off using it.

Before mixing the rice with a fork, remove all the spices which came on top after you waited for 30 mins stand by, this will ensure it won't get in between while you are eating. That's why all my rice dishes has no spices in the pictures. :-)

Meanings:

Kodi = Chicken
Bujju Puvvu = Dagad Phool = Black Stone Flower

Menu Suggestions:

Can be served with Kodi Vepudu or Chepa Vepudu or Royyalu Vepudu, Kodi Kura or Goat Curry or Royyalu Iguru and Perugu Chutney on side.

© 2006 by Rajani Rayudu

21 comments:

FH said...

What a gorgeous looking Pulao Rajani.Colorful and delicious.I love the stand too.Good job!:)

Baatasaari said...

good recipe :)... will try to execute it... keep posting!

All Smiles!! said...

Hi Rajani,

Pulao looks absolutely divine.. I have to check out the taste now :)

Rajani Rayudu said...

Hi Asha
Thank You Asha.

Hi Kittu
Welcome to my blog. Do try and let me know and keep visiting for my posts.

Hi Rajitha
Thank You and do try it Rajitha it tastes good too.

cheers
rajani.

Deepa Chilaka said...

Chaala bagundi Rajani, try chestanu....i just love homemade Pulao and your recipe sounds divine...looks great too. Keep up the good work, looking forward to see more chicken recipes:-)

Rajani Rayudu said...

Hi Deepa
Thanks andi. Meeru try chesi cheppandi. Will post chicken recipes too. Thanx for visiting my blog.
cheers
rajani

Unknown said...

Hi Rajani, can you please tell me the english name for "bujji puvvu". Thank you.

Rajani Rayudu said...

Hi Sree,
It is also known as Black stone flower. In hindi we call it Dagad phool. Check this link to see a whee look on it.

http://img176.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chabili0025ta.jpg

Image from: another subcontinent.

cheers
rajani

Naren said...

Miss the Andhra style pulao as every restaurant makes the Hyd Biriyani in NYC!

This is my fav. dish and thanks for posting the recipe..

Rajani Rayudu said...

Hi Telugodu garu,

This is one of my first preference pulao and Kodi kura combination. That's an ultimate comfort food for me.
Do try and let me know. Thanks for dropping by.

cheers
rajani

chinni said...

Hi rajani,this one was really good everyone ate silently without any comments and completed everything only a small cup of pulav left over for me,Hubby was really happy with this,the only thing I missed is marathi moggu and bujju puvvu but ven without them it tasted heavenly and heaps of compliments for me,I dont know whether I can get it here in Invercargill so I haven't tried for them
thanks rajani keep on posting

Rajani Rayudu said...

Hi Chinni,

Thanks for your feed back. I am glad every one liked it. Ya, I know it is hard to find, but I have seen this in Petone shop in Wellington. I always get them from India though..........

cheers
rajani

Unknown said...

Hi Rajani...your blogspot is so handy for me as i cannot always call my amma and note down recipe. I tried the Kodi Kura and it turned out too good. Kudos to you! I have a query in this "kodi pulao" recipe...y r u using the coconut milk? is it necessary? can i skip the marati mogga, bujju puvvu and coconut milk?

Rajani Rayudu said...

Hi Sahithya,

I am glad you liked my Kodi Kura recipe. Thanks for your feed back.....

Regarding your query- We do add coconut milk for pulav recipes, and spicy stuff like marati moggu and bujju puvvu.

If you don't have marati moggu and bujju puvvu skip this step, but I would recommend buying the stuff for your next pulav experiment. Don't be scared of coconut milk we add only small amount and keep it in freezer for later use. It better you add coconut milk to give that lovely taste.

Tell me how it went, for Chicken Pulao always best combination is Kodi Kura or Mutton Curry or even Prawn curry and Perugu Chutney, if you got lot of time then try my version of Kodi Vepudu too.

cheers
rajani

Unknown said...

hey thank u :) i skipped all those i mentioned, yet it did come out spicy and tasty. The guests didn't leave without giving a compliment. All thanks to u Rajani :)

chinni said...

Hi rajani,
nenu India vellanu marathi mogga thechanu kaani maa vijayawada lo aa bujju puvvu dorakaledhu,dhani gurinchi aidgithee anasa puvvu,jaavithri ivanni isthunnaru,veeluntee meeru okasari adhi photo theesi post chesthara mee blog loo
cheers,
chinni.

Rajani Rayudu said...

Hi Chinni,

Try googling to see picture, it is also called dagad phool. It can be easily found in Hyderabad area, I don't know about other places.

cheers
rajani

prathibha said...

hi,,
nenu first time me blog ni chusindhi its really good and fantastic.
Regarding this pulao, definetely nenu eroju chesi, thinni meeku chepthannu.

Rajani Rayudu said...

Hi Prathibha,

emi baleda, no feed back :-)

cheers
rajani

ravi said...

Rajani madam

chicken pulao was just too delicious ... never tasted anything like that
before. dont spoil our
taste buds by giving recipe of such tasty and good food.. we wont be able to
enjoy any other food after eating such good food .. your chicken pulao recipe is simply too gooodddddddddddd.
Thanks for your help in mail regarding clearing doubts in recipe.If you hadn't helped me in mail,we wouldn't have made
this recipe great.

Thanks & Regards
Ravi

Well! That's the way it is! :) said...

I made this using vegetables and it turned out awesome. Thanks for the lovely recipe. I miss the Andhra style pulao.