Toor Dal/ Kandi Pappu - 1/2 cup (small toor dal) + 1/2 cup (large toor dal)
Turmeric - 1/2 tsp
Chillipowder - 1 tsp
Salt - a pinch
Water - 2 and 1/2 cups
Cook these everything in pressure cooker until mushy.
Tamarind - 1 lemon size
Add enough water to the tamarind, microwave for 1 min , cool a bit and squeeze the juice.
Jaggery - small bit (around 1 tsp)
Onion - 1 no. (chopped in to chunks or u can use small onions, use as a whole)
Green chillies - 4 no. (slit Lengthwise)
Carrot - 1 no. (sliced in to half moon shape)
Potato - 1 n0. (skin removed, washed and cut in to small chunks)
Drumstick pieces - handful
Whole Tomato (from a tin) - 3 no + juice little bit (to give that nice red tint)
Sambhar Powder (I use MTR brand) - 5 tsp
1) Heat a large deep skillet, add tamarind juice to it along with jaggery and cook for few mins until slightly thicken.
2) To that add now all the veges, 5 cups of water and salt to taste. Mix well cover and cook it on medium heat for 10 mins.
3) Add cooked toor dal, mix well uncover and cook for 10 mins.
4) Add squashed tomato and sambhar powder, mix well and cook further 10 mins.
5) Do seasoning: 1 tbsp oil, 1 tsp mustard seeds, curry leaves - 2 sprigs and little hing (asafoetida).
When seasoning is finished add it to above (point 4) and switch off.
Serve it with Rice, Aratikaya podi kura or Aloo Fry, Yoghurt and Poppadums on side.
© 2006 by Rajani Rayudu