Courgettes/ zucchini - 4 no. (long and fresh, cut them in half lengthwise and cut in to moon shape, not too thin)
Onion - 1 no. (chopped finely)
Ginger and Garlic paste - 1/2 tsp each
Turmeric - 1/2 tsp
Cayenne pepper - 1/4 th tsp
Garam masala powder - 1/2 tsp + 1/2 tsp extra
Salt to taste
Oil - 3 tbsp
Desiccated coconut - handful
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Chana dal - 2 tsp
Urad dal - 1 tsp
Red chillies - 4 no. (split in half)
Curry leaves - 2 sprigs.
1) Heat a wok on medium heat add oil heat it up. Do the seasoning one by one in above order.
2) Add onions fry until light brown.
3) Add gg paste, fry. Add turmeric, cayenne pepper, 1/2 tsp garam masala and salt to taste mix well.
4) Add courgettes and fry, keep it covered for 5 mins. Remove the lid and mix again. Please do not mush it up with spatula you need to be gentle with them.
5) Cook until courgettes are cooked well and oil is oozing out. Now add coconut and 1/2 tsp garam masala, cook for few more mins by turning and tossing. Check for salt and serve.
Serve with Mysore Rasam, Rice and Yoghurt.
© 2006 by Rajani Rayudu