Ponni Rice - 1 and 1/2 cups
Toor Dal/ Kandi pappu - 3/4 cup
Wash these seperately and soak in water for 20 mins, later drain the water out.
Tamarind - 1 and 1/2 lemon size
Add this in microwave safe bowl along with 1 cup water and microwave for 2 mins and leave it aside, once cooled squeeze it to make pulp, keep aside.
Oil - 2 tbsp
Green chillies - 4 no. (cut vertically)
Curry leaves - 1 sprig
Onion - 1 small (sliced thinly)
Sambhar Onions or Small pickling Onions - 4 no. (peeled, and keep them whole)
Green Beans - handful of beans (tips and tails cut off, sliced in an angle)
Carrot - 1 no. (peel, sliced into slightly thick round)
Turmeric - 1/2 tsp
Chilli powder - 1 tsp
Salt - 2 tsp
MTR Bisibele Bhath powder - 4 tsp
Whole Tomatoes - 2 large (chopped)
Water - 5 cups
Oil 1 tbsp + Ghee 3 tbsp
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Cashews - handful
Dried Red Chillies - 4 no. (split in half)
Asafoetida/ Hing powder - 2 pinch.
1) Heat a 12 litre pressure cooker add 2 tbsp oil, once heated add green chillies and curry leaves stir and fry for few secs, add sliced onions, sambhar onions, carrot and beans to it and saute for few mins.
2) Add turmeric, chilli powder and salt, mix well.
3) Add water and drained rice dal mix, mix everything and bring it to boil on medium high.
4) Once it comes to boiling point, reduce heat to medium, add tomatoes, tamarind juice and MTR Bisibele bhath powder, mix well and pressure cook for 10 mins. Once the pressure is down, proceed to point 5.
5) Heat oil + ghee in a small skillet, once heated add mustard seeds, once stopped popping add cashews, once browned lightly add red chillies and hing, switch off and add this to above, mix well and serve hot.
Serve with lite Potato Chips and Cucumber Raita on side.
Never ever use Basmati or Long grain Rice for this dish.
Where to find MTR Bisi Bele Bhath Powder?
Normally a good Indian store will stock these packets.
Left over Twist:
Normally it hardens when there is left over, so try adding little amount of sambhar to it, to dilute.
© 2008 by Rajani Rayudu