Vankaya Chikkudu Ginjala Kura
Onion - 1 m.no. (Chopped finely)
Eggplant/ Vankaya - 1 no. (large fat Eggplant, diced and keep in warm water)
Chikkudu ginjalu/ Lilva - 1 cup or little less
*Chintakayalu / Raw Tamarind - 5 no. (whole)
Wash them properly. add lots of water in a small pan and boil the Chintakayalu until skin is removed easily and cooked, switch off. Remove Chintakayalu from water and keep the water seperately until needed. Now remove skin of the Chintakayalu and remove seed too by smashing lightly and removing it. Gather the pulp and keep aside.
*Green Chillies - 13 - 15 no.
Smashed in pestle, into smooth.
Oil - 2 tbsp
Turmeric - 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil - 4 tbsp, Garlic - 1 bulb (remove each flake and smashed lightly), Urad Dal - 2 tsp, Curry leaves - 1 sprig and Red Chillies - 4 no.(slit them in half)
1) Heat a deep flat non-stick pan, add oil heat it up. Add onions and fry until light golden colour.
2) Add chikkudu ginjalu and fry for 1 min.
3) Add eggplant pieces and fry for 3 min.
4) Add 1 cup of water from reserved liquid, mix well. Cover and cook until eggplant are mushy and ginjalu are cooked, stirring in between. Cook until all the water evaporated (you can use more water if it is not cooked).
5) Add salt and turmeric.
6) Add chintakaya paste and green chilli paste and cook for 5 mins. Remove everything in a plate.
7) Do seasoning: in the same dish by heating first, add oil, once heated. Add urad dal and red chillies fry until lightly brown add garlic and curry leaves fry until light golden color.
8) Now add the above paste and mix well to combine. Check for salt and tartness and switchoff.
Serve with Plain white Rice, Ghee and Rasam on side.
It will be easier if you keep everything ready before u start cooking.
© 2006 by Rajani Rayudu