Onions - 2 no. (chopped finely)
Yoghurt - 1 big spatula
Water as needed
Oil - 3 tbsp + 1 tbsp each for frying potatoes
Shahjeera - 1 tsp, bayleaves - 5 no.,(Cardamom, Whole clove, cinnamon stick, Bujju puvvu - 1 no. each)
Garam masala powder - 1 tsp
Coriander powder - 2 and 1/2 tsp
Cumin powder - 1/2 tsp
Kashmiri chilli powder - 1 tsp
Cayenne pepper - 1/4th - 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Turmeric - 1/2 tsp
Grind in coffee machine (in to smooth powder):
Poppy seeds - 1 tbsp
Fennel seeds/Sompu - 1/2 tsp
Cardamom - 3 no.
Wet grinding (grind in to paste using water):
Fresh/ Frozen Coconut - 3 tbsp
Green chillies - 5 no.
Ginger - 1 inch
1) Heat a small non-stick skillet add 1 tbsp oil and fry potatoes in two batches until golden brown. For the next batch add 1 tbsp again and add remaining potatoes and do the same. Keep aside.
2) Heat a deep non-stick kadai add oil , heat it up. Add whole masala and fry until aroma comes, but do not burn. Add onions and fry until light brown.
3) Add wet paste and grinded powder, fry.
4) Add all the dry powders and fry. remove from heat immediately follow point 5.
5) Add yoghurt and stir rapidly until combine. Transfer this to heat and cook until oil floats little.
6) Add fried potatoes and mix gently.
7) Add water until the potatoes are covered fully, cover with lid. Bring it to boil and simmer, stir in between gently and cook until potatoes are fully cooked, u can add water if the gravy becomes very thick and cook for some more time.
8) Add coriander leaves cook for 2mins and serve.
Serve this with Kobbari Annam and Perugu Chutney or Raita.
Aloo = Potato
Kobbari Annam = Coconut Rice
Perugu = Yoghurt
© 2006 by Rajani Rayudu