Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Methi Biriyani

This recipe was adapted from "SpiceRoot" by Malar Gandhi. I have added few bits and deleted some and end result was very tasty rice. Thank u so much.

Methi Biriyani

Ingredients:

Basmati Rice- 5 rice cups (Use electric rice cooker cups)

Whole Masalas - { Whole Cloves - 10 no, Cardamom - 10 no. (smashed lightly), Cinnamon stick - 4 inch, Bay leaves - 5 no.}

Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Green Chillies - 8 no. (slit lengthwise)

Onion - 1 no.
(sliced thinly)
Ginger and Garlic paste - 1 and 1/2 tsp each

Turmeric - a pinch
Whole tomato - 1 no.medium (chopped)

Coriander leaves - 1 handful
Frozen Methi leaves - 3 blocks or small bowl of fresh methi (keep this in warm water, until needed)

Oil - 1 tbsp + Ghee - 4 tbsp
Lite Coconut milk - {1 rice cup + Water - 6 and 1/2 rice cups + Salt - 3 tsp} - mix these and keep aside


Proceed:

1) Heat a wok, add oil and ghee when it is hot add cumin seeds, whole masalas. When it releases aroma add green chillies, fry.

2) Add onion and fry until light brown. Add gg paste and fry on medium heat.

3) Add turmeric powder and mix well. Add tomato pieces and fry on high until mushy.

4) Add squeezed methi leaves and chopped coriander leaves, fry until water is gone, mean while wash the rice 3 times and immediately follow point 5.

5) Add basmati rice to the above mixture, mix gently and fry until water evaporates and add this mixture to the electric cooker.

6) To the above add coconut water mixture and mix again keep the lid, switch it on. When it is done it goes in to off position. Please do not open the lid. After 10 mins remove the lid and wipe the lid with cloth to remove water content, do this for every 10 mins until u finished off 30 mins standby and serve.

Serve with Chicken 65 or Aloo Kurma and Perugu Chutney

Tip:

Use Kohinoor basmati rice.

Translation:

Methi = Fenugreek Leaves

Methi = Menthaku (telugu)

© 2007 by Rajani Rayudu

17 comments:

FH said...

Methi Biryani looks delicious.Thank you and Miss.G!:)

Aahaar Vihaar said...

Methi biryani looks tempting. It is a nutritious dish. Thanks for sharing.

swapna susarla said...

hi rajani
creative idea.never heard of this dish.thanks for sharing

Sharmi said...

hey Methi biriyani, pic looks so good. must be tasting great. very innovative.

Rajani Rayudu said...

Thanks Sharmi. Do try it, tastes good too.

cheers
rajani

All Smiles!! said...

Sounds Interesting Rajani, never has this one before..

Rajani Rayudu said...

Hi Rajitha,
Yup! it tastes good too. It is even more simpler when we have frozen methi in hand....

cheers
rajani

sunita said...

Hi Rajani...that's a really innovative dish...thanks...xhfqauy

Roopa said...

wow nice biryani! Very different from what we make thks for visiting my blog and sharing the recipe

Rajani Rayudu said...

Hi Sunita,
you are welcome.

Hi Roopa,
Do try, it tastes good too.

cheers
rajani

Sumitha said...

Hi Rajani,first time here,came here thru Meenas blog.I hav bookmarked the chicken pulao recipe.Please do post the recipe for chicken biryani,i would love to prepare it the Andhra way.

Rajani Rayudu said...

Hi Sumitha,
Welcome to my blog. Will post Biryani recipe for u, if possible for RCI event.

cheers
rajani

Malar Gandhi said...

Dear Rajani,

I took a break....went on vacation!

How r u doing?

Hmmmm....it looks like my 'Methi Biriyani' took a deep turn here! It looks yummy to me! Thanks for trying this recipe. Actualy I grow my own 'Methi' here! Frozen sounds good too!

Well...btn, if you have'nt guessed it yet.....I am a girl! 'Malar' means 'Flower' in Tamil & 'Gandhi' is my surname.

Will see you around!

Rajani Rayudu said...

Hi Asha,
Thanks Asha and thanks to Malar too, if she wasn't there I wouldn't have had pat on my back.

Hi Aa..Vi...,
You are welcome it tastes delicious too. I served this dish for my friends and they liked a lot.

Hi Swapna,
I had this at my parents place, but never tried it. After reading his post I felt like giving it a try. I am glad I did it.

cheers.
rajani.

Rajani Rayudu said...

Hi Malar,
Welcome home!

I am fine? wondering where u been.

Thanks to u I have tried your recipe,
here I have used frozen methi. Never grown my methi before, It's good you are getting fresh methi from your garden.

I am so sorry, well thought so u might clear my doubt. Now I have re-posted my comment:-).

cheers
rajani

roshni said...

Hi Rajani

Your recipes looks great and tempting :-)

Searched for Vangi Bath in your site but unable to find . Dont mind if you can share your Vangi bath recipe with us. Thanking you in advance :)

Rajani Rayudu said...

Hi Roshni,

In near future I will post it for you.

cheers
rajani