Mushroom Egg Curry
Good for unexpected guests or even for bachelor cooking.
Eggs - 4 (boiled, remove the shell and prick them with tooth pick randomly)
Oil - 4 tbsp
Fennel seeds or Sompu - 1/2 tsp
Whole Spices - 2 cloves, 2 cardamom, 1 inch cinnamon
Onion - 1 large (chopped finely)
Ginger Garlic paste - 1 tsp
Spice powders - 1/2 tsp turmeric, 3/4 tsp chilli powder, 1/2 tsp coriander powder, 1 tsp Kashmiri chilli powder, freshly grounded garam masala powder (2 cloves, 2 cardamom, 1 inch cinnamon - pounded in pestle)
Button mushrooms - 6 large (sliced into three each and cut in the middle once)
Chopped tomato tin - 1 tin (400 g tin)
For garnishing - 2 handful of chopped coriander leaves, 3 sprigs curry leaves.
1) Heat oil in a non-stick kadai. once hot add aniseeds, once started splutter add whole spices, once fried add onion mix well, cover and cook on low heat, fry until lightly brown.
2) Add gg paste mix well, cover and fry for 3 mins, add mushrooms, mix well cover and cook for 2 mins and add spice powders mix and fry for 1 min or so.
3) Add tomato tin, mix gently, cover and cook for 5 mins or until mushy.
4) Add pricked egg to it, cover and simmer for 10 mins.
5) Lastly add salt to taste, garnishing stuff mix well cover and cook until oil floats on top may be 5-10 mins. no need to add water. once opening the lid you will get nice chettinaad flavors coming out from curry. yum!!!
Enjoy this dish with Plain White Rice and Yoghurt.
Omit mushrooms and follow the same for Tomato Egg Curry.
© 2012 by Rajani Rayudu