Chikkudu Kayalu - 1/4 th kilo (washed, cut top and tail, remove the strings, take the seeds and keep these in a plate. Now the chop the outer skin into 1 inch pieces, add it to plate, keep these aside)
Green chillies - 2 no. (slit and sliced)
Curry leaves - 1/2 sprig
Onion - 1/2 no. large (chopped finely)
Ginger Garlic paste - 1/2 tsp
Turmeric - 1/2 tsp
Chilli powder - 1 tsp
Kashmiri chilli powder - 1 tsp
Home made masala powder - 1 & 1/2 tsp (scroll down to see)
Water - 2 rice cups
Salt to taste
Coriander leaves - handful (chopped finely)
Rice bran oil - 3 tbsp
Chikkudu Kayalu/ Indian Broad Beans
1) Heat oil in a non-stick kadai on medium heat, once heated add green chillies and curry leaves, fry.
2) Add onion, mix well and fry until light brown (I normally cover the dish).
3) Reduce heat to low, and add gg paste and chikkudu pieces, mix well, on top of it put chilli powder, turmeric and masala powder, cover and fry for 5 mins (keep mixing in between).
4) Add water (increase heat to medium, bring to boil) cover and simmer for 10 mins.
5) Add salt to taste and coriander leaves, mix well and cover for 5 mins. Switch off.
6) Leave it on electric stove top for 5 mins (the heat will cook evenly) or check whether cooked or not. Serve.
Serve with Rice or Roti or Puri, Yoghurt and Kobbari Pachadi.
You can add boiled egg to it, boil egg fully remove the shell and score on four sides slightly with a knife, add it when you are adding water to the above curry.
Chikkudu Kayalu = Indian Broad Beans = Papdi
Home Made Masala:
Grind these in coffee grinder into smooth powder - 3 tsp coriander seeds, 1 tsp poppy seeds (white), 6 cloves, 6 cardamom and 1 inch cinnamon. Remaining keep in air tight jar.
© 2009 by Rajani Rayudu